HVAC Tips & Hints In Spring, TX
Filters are important and help to keep dirt and dust out of the unit that can cause air restrictions, freeze ups, and more costly needed repairs!
- Check filter or filters monthly. Don’t forget some units have a filter in the attic that should be changed every 6 months.
- When choosing which filters to use you want to make sure and grab a good pleated filter for better filtration rather than the cheap throw away type.
- Make sure to put a reminder on your phone to change your filter monthly or as needed when life gets busy (it’s an easy thing to forget about, but could cause costly repairs).
Doing Some Of Your Own Checkups – Here Are Some You Should Make Sure To Do
- Check the batteries in your thermostat – Most new style thermostats have batteries in them that can go dead and cause the unit not to work correctly or at all.
- Check the breaker if the unit is not running – Sometimes our strong weather can cause the breaker to trip and this can be an easy fix by resetting the breaker. *Note, if the breaker trips again, it should be turned off and you should make sure to call Schiller Services for a visit to get checked out*
- Check if the unit has frozen up – When the unit freezes up usually ice forms on the compressor or the larger line with the insulation on it, referred to as the suction line. If you find ice, turn the A/C off at the thermostat and turn the fan to the ON position. Keep the unit off for at least 1 to 2 hours. This works for most units. Once units are free of ice, Schiller Services should be called out to check the unit operation to prevent a second freeze up or compressor damage.
Give us a call or contact us with any questions that you might have!